How to add Meta tags to your website (place meta tags)
Here you will find all the information about how to add meta tags to an existing website. We now assume you have some basic knowledge about building a web-page, HTML and internet programs. To make changes to your page you need :
- a FTP program, to transfer files to and from your server to your computer
- User name and password of your server
- A simple text editing program like Simpeltext or Notepad
Frequently Asked Question
- Question : "I have no clue, what am I supposed to do now?"
- Answer: ask a friend that has some internet knowledge or even better: hire a website builder! Also your server provider can help you. If you use a CMS system, ask the supplier of the program for help.
Steps - Where to place meta tags - meta tags head or body ?
Adding meta tags to the body of your page is not very difficult, but it has to be done in an accurate way. Otherwise it might be possible that your website is not working properly anymore.
- Always make a backup of your website. Now you are able to replace the file with a copy if something goes wrong.
- Make relevant meta tags by using our online Meta tags Code Generator
- Make a FTP connection with your web server
- Obtain the index.htm or index.html file
- Open this file with Notepad or SimpleText or a HTML editor
<TITLE> New Document </TITLE>
- Copy and past the meta tags between <HEAD> </HEAD> part in the source of your page
- Save the page
- Replace the index file with FTP on the web server
- Check your web page with our Meta tags Analyzer
- Repeat step 1 to 9 to add meta tags to all the pages of your website
So it's not that difficult to add meta tags to your website.
Next step: use our online Meta tags Code Generator to generate a correct HTML file to add meta tags to your website.