< link rel = "canonical" href =
The Canonical meta tag is actually a link element. By adding it you define which URL is the original URL of a page. If you have a page with both a mobile and a desktop version, Google sees these as duplicate versions of the same page.
If the same information is available on multiple URLs, then there is duplicate content. The best solution is to prevent duplicate content from occurring. But in other cases, the canonical tag is the best way to resolve duplicate content.
- Always add the canonical tag in the HEAD section of your site. The URL of a canonical link can be a relative link. However, we advise you to use absolute links to prevent problems. The canonical link can only link to a page with the same domain name.
- Use the canonical tag to specify which page you want to show as a search result.
It is better to have the page https://www.yourdomain.com/restaurant/breakfast/eggs.html as a search result in stead of https://www.yourdomain.com/restaurant/menu-item?548733
- If you don’t explicitly tell Google which URL is canonical, Google will make the choice for you.
This might lead to unwanted behavior. By using a canonical tag you can avoid that.
SEO Influence Meter
The canonical tag has
some SEO influence!
The Canonical tag is an HTML link tag with “rel=canonical” attribute that is used if you have a single page URL that has the same content as other multiple page URLs.
By implementing the Canonical tag in the code, we tell the search engines that this URL is the main page and avoid indexing other duplicate page URLs.
In what cases does a search engine defines a page as a canonical URL?
- is the page served as http or as https
- the quality of the page
- the presence of the URL in your sitemap
- if your website is in different languages (that is, if only the header, footer, and other non-critical text is translated, but the body content remains the same, then the pages are considered to be duplicates)
Google sees all the above URLs as duplicate versions of the homepage. And to fix this problem, the canonical tag (rel=canonical) was invented.
Session ID URLs
These are the automatic system-generated URLs and commonly generated due to the tracking URLs, breadcrumb links and permalinks in CMS
When using a special URL (m. example.com) for the mobile version of your website.
You can also have 2 versions – one is a mobile version and the other is a desktop version.
For the mobile and desktop version, you use a canonical tag.
HTML Code Canonical Tag Example
Affordable & Effective
We offer affordable SEO services that are fast and effective.
It's not that difficult to create meta-tags. We've made it simple for you by offering you this free meta-tags wizard.
Boost My Metatags
You've created the perfect meta-tags. Now it's time to let the world know your website is open for business.
Create My MetaTags
Rely on the experts. We create the prefect meta-tags for you. Build around the perfect keywords attracting the right customers.
Need some professional
Contact our Customer Service representative to make an appointment and to answer all your questions!