What is a (domainname) redirect?
A domainname or a webpage that is linked or redirected to another domainname.
This can be used if you have several domainnames without a hosting package and you redirect those domainnames to your main website on which you do have ordered a hosting package. The best way to link these domainnames is to redirect them to a seperate page within your main website. Unfortunately there are webhosting providers that don't offer these redirects in the correct way.
The following mistakes are made :
- they offer a link from www.domain-a.com to www.domain-b.com but the URL of www.domain-a.com still remains visible in the URL bar (or address bar). The so called frame forward.
- after typing www.domain-a.com, www.domain-b.com appears in the URL bar (the so called refresh tag).
- after typing www.domain-a.com the visitor is redirected to www.domain-b.com/file-a.
- after typing www.yourwebsite.com the browser redirect to another page within a few seconds. Many times this is a combination of a flash intro and a page with language selections.
What we discourage you to do
We discourage the use of a sole redirect for the search engines. A redirect usually doesn't score that well with the search engines.
Especially an (automatic) refresh tag is used by search engine spammers and will not or hardly score.
- You don't want possibility 1 because you want to avoid the use of frames
- You don't want possibility 2 because the first name doesn't contain any content
- You don't want possibility 3 because according to Google it's deceit
- You don't want possibility 4 because you don't want to frustrade your visitor but inform him/her clearly
www.strawberry.com is redirected directly to www.greengrocer.com
www.strawberry.com is redirected directly to www.greengrocer.com/strawberry
www.strawberry.com is just 1 page with a frameset to www.greengrocer.com/strawberry
www.strawberry.com contains relevant information and is linked to a page on www.greengrocer.com about strawberries.
|© 2017 - Part of the MetaTags Company Inc. Last update: 23-03-2017|